Proper knowledge, training and experience are only the beginning of the skillset required of a capable expert witness. The demands of the judicial process are not simply limited to knowing the facts and generating a reasonable answer. To be successful, an expert witness must simplify complex matters and help less technical people see what really matters and concisely demonstrate that their answer is the right one.
GLJ is an expert at getting the right judgment when knowledge, training, experience and competence are put to the test.
GLJ has extensive experience in providing technical support for regulatory matters such as facility/pipeline, development and export applications. The following are a few prominent examples where GLJ has provided expert witness testimony to regulatory authorities:
- Ontario Energy Board regarding inventory discrepancies in gas storage facilities.
- National Energy Board on behalf of Maritimes & Northeast Pipelines regarding their application to expand its pipeline system to transport Deep Panuke gas.
- Alberta Energy Utility Board regarding a rateable take application for the Blackstone Beaverhill Lake A Pool.
- National Energy Board on behalf of Imperial Oil Resources Ventures Limited regarding a gas supply study for the Mackenzie Gas Project.
- Development Approval Committee of Gazprom in Moscow regarding a development feasibility study for the Yaro-Yakinsk Gas Field in Western Siberia.
- National Energy Board on behalf of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers regarding Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin ultimate potential and Trans Canada Pipelines Mainline throughput in the context of supply risk and market risk.
GLJ has provided expert reports and supporting senior GLJ management testimony relating to a wide variety of judicial proceedings involving oil and gas interests. The following are a few prominent examples where GLJ has provided expert witness testimony to support litigation proceedings:
- Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta regarding the Kotaneelee Gas Field on behalf of Amoco Canada Petroleum Company Limited.
- Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta providing expertise regarding economic evaluations, material balance analysis, volumetric analysis, integrated reservoir studies including use of well test data and other data in reservoir evaluation on behalf of Apache Corporation.
- Provided an expert opinion regarding the Mangahewa Prospect located onshore New Zealand on behalf of Shell Exploration NZ Limited.
- Prepared an independent reserves determination and economic analysis of certain interests in the Rubiales Field located in Colombia as of early 2000 on behalf of Resource Underwriting Pty Ltd. for use in litigation proceedings.
GLJ has provided expert reports and supporting senior GLJ management testimony relating to a wide variety of judicial proceedings involving oil and gas interests. The following are a few prominent examples where GLJ has provided expert witness testimony to support arbitration and mediation proceedings:
- Conducted a number of studies in support of treaty land entitlement negotiations on behalf of various First Nations.
- Provided expert witness testimony before arbitration proceedings for Panther Petroleum Ltd. versus Amoco Canada Petroleum Company Limited and Talisman Energy Inc.
- Provided a report for use in the arbitration proceedings between Basin Oil NL, Santos Limited and others regarding the Cooper Basin Gas and Oil Fields in Australia.